Monday, April 10, 2006

Last Saturday (8/4/2006), when hubby and I were on our way home, we saw a kid (probably about 9 years old), strolling in the middle of the road. I'm not sure what made us turn back to take another peak, when we realise that he didn't seem normal, and saw the dangerous way of him crossing the road, which made us follow him for a while.

At that time, I was pretty shaken, not knowing what can be done, thinking that police wouldn't really bother about us if we reported, as we don't know anything about the kid. He does seem to know his direction, but we decided to trail him further, taking a closer look. Then we realised he was barefooted, and talking and smiling away to himself while he walked.

We did end up calling the police, and by the time we were done, we lost track of the kid. Asked and hunted around before we found him again. Called the police again but no sign of any patrol car. The kid then walked into Giant Hypermarket, which was when hubby went down on foot to trail him, afraid that we will lose him again. When I called the police station to inform them of our current location, I would have to admit, I was a little dissapointed, that he told me he have no idea when the patrol car will come. I was starting to question whether are they telling the truth about sending a patrol car or not, when I finally saw one passing me. I really do have to apologize for my lack of trust to our security forces, when they ARE starting to show some improvement, my thousand apology!

Hubby did call to say that the kid is now sitting in Pizza Hut, and the Pizza's staff gave the kid a personal pan when the kid went in and kept repeating "Pizza, Pizza". It is nice to see that sometimes, no matter how bad our society has become, there are still MANY good people around. Well, back to the kid story, when hubby saw the police approaching, he called for the kid to come over, BUT, ending up making the kid run away and hide. The police finally got the guards in the hypermarket to help search for the kid.

While waiting outside with the polices, we were told that this is the 3rd time this kid has ran away from his 'Special School' where he live, some 2km away from where we were. It is shocking to know that the school, knowing that the kid has a tendency to escape like this, not putting in more effort to stop it from happening, and I still do feel uneasy, when I think of how dangerous the kid was, roaming around in the middle of the night.

I pray that he won't be running away from the school again like this, and he'd be in safe hands that will take good care of him. I hope even if he DO wander off like this again, that no speeding cars will be around, and he'll be safe and sound until found and returned to the school.