Wednesday, February 08, 2006

HECTIC!!!!! That's how I'd spell CNY now. So much changes compared to how it was.....

It used to be receiving of angpow (red packets with money inside).
Now it's distributing (well, I still do receive some from family, so that's good... hehehe).

It used to be 1 reunion dinner, 1 visiting (Johor) and then FREE TIME!
Now, it's A FEW reunion dinner to attend in the same night but too little time, 2 visitings (Ipoh & Johor - North to South of the Peninsula), and VERY little free time... :(

I've had a few 'yee sang' this time around...

Bad thing is that I couldn't take the raw salmon now, because of the pregnancy... I swear that after delivery, I will go have a sashimi buffet, HAHAHA.....

I always wonder, what is in the 'yee sang' dish that every restaurant you go to around the CNY celebration, there ought to be 'yee sang'.
Why is it that when we 'lou' (toss it together with chopsticks) everyone tend to say good phrases, like 'smooth sailing work', 'improvements in studies', 'good business', etc. etc. etc..... If it REALLY works, lets have 'yee sang' all year round... WOO HOO!!

Oh, the funny part is, at the end of the tossing, all our chopsticks are now sticky and crumps falls ALL over the table, but everyone is laughing and having fun.... WHY leh huh?? (I osso don't know leh).....


Another new CNY custom that I am exposed to now after marriage, is the 'Prayers to the God of Sky' which is done every year on the 9th day of the 1st Lunar month (normally night of 8th day going into 9th)... TIRING woi!! Dad-in-law ALWAYS has a roasted pig (read : NOT piglett), and there'll be firecrackers (bro-in-law's responsibility for the CNY). Oh, and SUGARCANE, 1 one each side of the main gate, and and, err, etc. etc. etc.
The 'event' always lasted pass midnight, and this year, it went on until 4am!!!!!!!! Thank God I took leave the day after, else I'd be zombie leh....

The picture on the right shows how we brought the sugar cane home... hahaha, reminds me of the traditional wedding a little...